Saturday, September 14, 2013

Before it all Began

1. For this service learning project I hope to know more about other cultures around the world, and how to have a conversation with someone from another country without offending or making a fool of myself. Growing up in a small town in central Illinois did not make for a very culturally diverse place to live. I learned about other cultures and lifestyles through the education I received in both high school and the beginning of college through classes such as sociology. Through this service project I hope to learn even more.

2. I do not have too many assumptions about the service learning site. I know that it is Rock Island High School, and considering it is for the city of Rock Island, I'm sure it is pretty big. I also assume that since it is a high school located in a city, it will be more diverse in the kids that attend there. Other than that, I do not know what to expect about the service learning site.

3. All that I know about the work that is done through the Rock Island ELL Program is that they help educate refugees. This teaching can range anywhere from learning English to math to science. I assume that the kids are also taught the basic lifestyles here in America, in order to become adjusted to living here faster.

4. I do not know very much about the population that the Rock Island ELL Program serves. I know that they come from all over the world, seeking refuge here in the United States. Other than that, I do not really know, or can assume anything, about the population.

5. I have no connections to Rock Island High School or to anyone in the population because I did not grow up around here. I am very interested in seeing what actually goes on through the ELL Program and what the kids are learning. I also find other cultures very interesting and cannot wait to get to know the kids better and hear their unique stories. I feel like after every trip to Rock Island High School, I will truly be able to say "you learn something new everyday."

No comments:

Post a Comment